My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://walkslowlylivewildly.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Drunk on the Spirits of Fear



A friend posted something that made me think of a great song.

"This World"
by Caedmon's Call
There's tarnish on the golden rule
And I wanna jump from this ship of fools
Show me a place where hope is young
And a people who aren't afraid to love

This world has nothing for me and this world has everything
All that I could want and nothing that I need

This world is making me drunk on the spirits of fear.
So when he says who will go, I am nowhere near.

And the least of these look like criminals to me
So I leave Christ on the street

This world has held my hand and has led me into intolerance
But now I'm waking up, but now I'm breaking up
But now I'm making up for lost time

It says so many important things about the state of our world. With everything that is happening around us, it's so easy to be in constant fear. Fear of war, fear of flying, fear of terrorism....fear of global warming, fear of pesticides...fear of the suburbs? The list could go on and on. One of the reasons I don't watch TV news is because I feel that it creates unnecessary fear. Why do I need Fox News to tell me something 5 times an hour for 24 hours? Their goal is to suck you in, create fear, and get you to keep watching. And watching and watching. Just in case something might happen. TV news makes me feel crazy just watching all the fires, sirens, murders, plagues...and all the flashy colors and reporters with their scary voices. Aaaah! Enough!

I much prefer READING the news on an alternative news source. Of course, it's very difficult to find unbiased reporting...maybe because everything is owned by just a few people. If you don't believe me, check it out for yourself. Here and here. Follow the money. I prefer to read at the BBC News and other international sites. I really like Sojourners, but that has a bent as well. I used to only search out Christian news and Republican sites, but have since realized that Jesus is neither of those things, so I'm not concerned about that. I'm more concerned with getting the truth and loving people.

Even if you don't agree with everything I'm saying here, just be aware that you are being brainwashed if you are listening and reading mainstream media. Try...just for once, to search out your own answers about things you are interested in. You'll be glad you did. But be careful...when you start to question one thing, it will lead to another. And another. Pretty soon, you'll find that there is so much that you "learned" growing up that isn't true.

Let's not be drunk on the "spirits of fear", but instead, use knowledge of our world for good. Make a difference! Talk to someone you wouldn't normally talk to. Make someone's day. Give a compliment. Fear God only and think for yourself.

8 Comments:

Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is anything of excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Phil 4:8

Not so simple, as you point out... finding truth and justice that is also pure, excellent, honorable, pleasing (?), worthy of praise... seems to me it takes some searching beyond the daily fare.

9/13/2006 5:11 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

You have only touched the knob on a door that needs to be opened. You are correct in your findings that media is about brainwashing. This has been the goal, not only in the present but for thousands of years. Are you ready to open the door? You and I share the same faith but do we follow the same teacher? Present media is about control put forth by people with an agenda. The same is true about the book our faith is based on. Have you ever questioned why we put so much energy into books that were assembled by a man that had an agenda? Have you ever questioned the origins of the holidays that "followers of Christ" celebrate? Did you know that $7 billion was spent, last April, on candy to "celebrate" the resurrection. Meanwhile 16,000 children died from hunger that day as they do every day. Is that what our teacher would have us do? What about Christmas? There is an agenda. Our parents do what they think is right by sitting us in a pew to hear the same message that has been taught to them and others before them for roughly 1,700 years but is this the story we were supposed to have heard. Is this brainwashing as well? The first step is to overcome the fear that modern media has placed on us, and you have done that. The next step is to overcome the fear that ancient media has placed on us....I have done that. He is there but you must truly seek him.

At the begining fo the Gospel of Thomas (a book that was left out) Yeshua urges us "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]"

When you have resolved this..then quesion your God or is it Gods?

Dont get so wrapped up in it that you stop blogging..you have some good stuff here :)

Truly love one another.
Peace
Your brother.

9/13/2006 10:36 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Mark,
Thank you for your thoughtful response. I agree 100% with you...regarding Christmas, Easter, "Pop Christianity", and the state of the Church today. We certainly need to be more concerned with emulating Christ than being a good "Christian"...whatever that has come to mean. There is much to be unlearned...and so much to gain.
Thanks again.

9/13/2006 11:34 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

"We certainly need to be more concerned with emulating Christ than being a good "Christian"...whatever that has come to mean. There is much to be unlearned...and so much to gain."

Powerful!!
Possibly kindred spirits.
Take care
I am reading
M

9/14/2006 8:04 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I, too, much prefer to read news rather than see it on TV. I also like to listen to NPR (but it's the rare day I get to do that!). I recognize now that no matter where I get my news from it is going to be somewhat biased. It's impossible to be free from bias, I think. It almost seems like it's a goal of our government and news sources to keep the people fearful. Thankfully, we have Jesus who can give us freedom from that fear!

Great post - I really enjoyed it. (I read it a couple days ago, I think, but I'm just now getting around to commenting!)

9/15/2006 1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well said..so true...there are so many people who just take what they're told and what they've learned throughout life and don't question anything, so when people do question they think there's something wrong with them. You keep me on my toes and I love it sister! : )

9/17/2006 12:11 PM  
Blogger angela said...

Very good reminder not to take things at face value, which I am very guilty of!! Thanks for making me think a little deeper. =)

9/18/2006 8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with what you are saying about media and its control by the ruler of this world. As far as finding "unbiased" information, there is no such thing as long as the information is of human origin... I used to be a libertarian secular humanist; now it is clear to me that it is impossible to solve spiritual problems by political means. Unless we deal with the real root issue, we will never solve anything. Jesus demonstrated how we can live to serve others. If you want to change the world, look at Him; the cross is the pivotal moment in all of human history...

Mark, you have a few good points, but if you think that the Bible is merely the product of a conspiracy and the "Gospel" of Thomas is anything other than a Gnostic fantasy written long after the Ascension, I think you should do more research. I have, and I have come to the conclusion that the Bible as it now exists and its Author are trustworthy.

10/06/2006 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Compact Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next