My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://walkslowlylivewildly.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Manufactered Want



Even though I desire to lead a simple life with few possessions and tread lightly on the earth...I am still hear a the evil voices whenever I go near a mall (which I like to refer to as the "Giant Shrine of Manufactered Wants). It whispers to me...

"You need me.."
"Your life would be so different if you would just buy me..."
"You would look so cute if you wore me..."
The first step is realizing that the mall DOES truly try to suck you in like the sirens...the second step is resisting, the third step is going to Starbucks and buying an inanely overpriced cup of muddy water and sugar flavoring to "reward" yourself for not getting sucked into the mall.

Here is the post that got me thinking about this today...Stuff Lust.

Photo by Charlie Brewer/Flickr

4 Comments:

Blogger angela said...

just looking at that picture of a mall makes me want to go shopping.
i'm studying the book of Daniel right now with my small group. trying to leave the babylonian empire we have set up around us in the US. it's so difficult.

9/07/2006 11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find the whole mall experience very off-puting (the parking, the crowds, etc.). But I hear the same things you do when I get out of the corridors and am faced with a favorite clothing store or makeup counter. I just try to avoid it altogether, which isn't difficult.

I find the internet and catalogs are what really get me...whether it's someone posting a photo of their new Fluevogs on Flickr or a quick glance at the J.Crew site for something I "need".

9/07/2006 2:07 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

To Angela's comment... yes, Babylon...

...if you go to Revelation you'll be even more sobered. The modern "Babylon" is eventually destroyed not so much for its indecencies but for its Commerce, it's buying and selling... see, it is the merchants who weep when "Babylon" falls.

Yet, first the call goes to the faithful, "Come out of her, my people..." (Rev 18:4... read all of chapter 18 for the full story)

9/08/2006 6:13 AM  
Blogger FillingMyQuiver said...

I stumbled upon your blogs from MDC and am fully enjoying them. Must add them to my bloglist.

It is so true about the manufactured wants. It is a constant struggle in our home to simplify and not give into the "you'll be happy with more stuff" train of thought.

Looking forward to more posts. BTW~ Bella is BEAUTIFUL!! What a sweet and wonderful blessing the Lord has poured out on you :)

9/11/2006 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Compact Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next