My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://walkslowlylivewildly.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Finding Your Tribe

Fellowship. Community. Support. All of these words bring to mind warm and cozy feelings. In the stay-at-home mom "world", there is nothing more important than getting connected to a group of like-minded friends who you can converse with, laugh with, and love. I have been so fortunate to find this type of friendship. It all started when we moved to town and I attended my first La Leche League meeting. I met new people and had a great time. Not too long after that, I was invited to one of their homes for a "cloth diaper party". Basically a playdate...and we talked about diapering our babes. After that meeting, we had a huge increase in the number of "natural parenting" groups in town. I started a babywearing group, my friend Sarah started a cloth diapering group, the Holistic Moms Network started meeting, the Attachment Parenting group was growing..and POOF! A community of like-minded families rallied around each other and we started our own little tribe. We have meetings of some sort nearly every week, as well as a weekly playgroup. Several of us get together in each others homes as well to chat and let the kids play. And it was during one of these playdates that a couple of us started talking about the importance of community, especially with mothers of young children. When you get together with other moms, you realize that you're not the only one who has a messy house. You're not the only one who get burned out. You're not alone in your frustration with your 2 year old. When you can talk through these things with others who have been through it, your load becomes lighter. It's also reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who is obsessive about organic foods and non-plastic / non-commercial toys for my child.
Here is a great article detailing the process of helping out in each others' homes...and building your own tribe. Put some hot water on for tea and invite another mama over today!

11 Comments:

Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Oh, and you discover you're not the only one who has kids that may or may not grow up to be good babysitters...

check this out to see what I mean:

http://flourishingmother.blogspot.com/

I got a good chuckle.

10/26/2006 5:20 AM  
Blogger celestialdreamer said...

This type of community that you are speaking of, is so much more important than I realized before my first child was born. I have found my own little tribe of mama friends too and I don't know how I could do it without them. I'm glad to hear you have that kind of support system, I think that it is something slowly quickly slipping away in this society. We aren't meant to be mothers all by ourselves!

10/26/2006 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another terrific post, Sara! It has become increasingly important to me to find other moms to connect with, to grow with and to share with.

Last week, in an attempt to address my very real need for some sort of a tribe or community, I emailed Holistic Moms hoping to start a new chapter. My packet arrived just today, right before I logged on to read your post. Cosmic! LOL.

10/26/2006 11:26 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

This looks great. I look forward to reading it. You are so right.

10/26/2006 12:34 PM  
Blogger Gavi said...

That is so awesome and describes the kind of community I could only wish for here!

10/26/2006 1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wanted to leave a note that i love your blog!

and, i wish i had a community like you've found.

10/27/2006 6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great post...I forwarded the "tribe" article on to many friends near and far...two of my local buddies immediately emailed wanting to get together this week to help each other cook, clean, and get house projects done!
Aimee

10/30/2006 8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is wonderful that you found such a great group when you first moved to your town. I have found it dificult to find like-minded people in this town. Most don't babywear around here.... I think I am going to have to be a little more proactive in seeking out like minded people. Thanks for posting this!

11/02/2006 7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is wonderful that you found such a great group when you first moved to your town. I have found it dificult to find like-minded people in this town. Most don't babywear around here.... I think I am going to have to be a little more proactive in seeking out like minded people. Thanks for posting this!

11/02/2006 7:56 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I completely agree about finding likeminded mama's and creating community. I live in Calgary, AB, Canada and belong to the local Attachment Parenting group and we just celebrated our 250th member!! We are out there! You just have to keep looking!

11/02/2006 10:27 PM  
Blogger Genuine Lustre said...

Some of these friends you are making now will be around forever! LLL changed my life. I was a Leader for 13 yrs and homebirthed/clothdiapered/attachment parented my 4 babies. The oldest is now 16 and while he poo-poohed his "hippy" mom for a while, he can see that his family life is richer than that of the other kids at school.
Enjoy!

11/09/2006 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Compact Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next