My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://walkslowlylivewildly.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Miniature Earth

I came across a wonderful website today. The Miniature Earth explores what the earth would "look" like if it was reduced to 100 people, but the proportions remained the same. It's so easy to forget that we, as Americans, are not the only people on this earth. It's easy to forget that we are wealthy beyond measure when compared to others across the world.

Along the same lines, Peter Menzel has created 3 books that have been life-changing for me. Material World, Hungry Planet, and Women of the Material World. He compares famililes from around the globe and give us a glimpse into their everyday lives. Here are a few of the families that are featured. These books were pivotal in my journey towards a more simple and sustainable lifestyle...I just could not go on doing the same wasteful things, knowing that the rest of the world has so much less.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sara. I know and love Hungry Planet as well. I rented it from the library because, well, it's a big expensive book, but filled with wonderful research, stories and photos from around the world. It was almost too good to return! Even the photos alone tell many many stories. I also enjoyed the cost break down. I have wanted to check out Material World for a while now and thanks, because I've never heard of the Woman one.

11/09/2006 9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also love the book Material World. It brings into sharp focus the true needs of people and really made me take a look at the stuff I have just sitting around my house.

11/09/2006 9:40 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I had also checked them out from the library...and renewed them over and over. I finally ended up getting all 3 when I had some extra $$. I could sit all day and looka at them...devouring every image...every face.

11/09/2006 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara I tell you we have so much in common it's unbelievable! We have Material World also,and it is one of our favorite books. Thanks for mentioning the others.
Blessings,
Kim

11/09/2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

The Miniature Earth... I read a book to my kids that was like that... I think it was called, If the World was 100 People or something like that. Anyway, my kids were amazed to think that way... to see the few who have, the many who don't, and so on. It's an eye-opener.

11/09/2006 2:24 PM  
Blogger Heth said...

So eye opening.

11/10/2006 8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. that's all I can say.
WOW.

11/10/2006 8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the links. Hmmm... it really gives us all something to "ponder". Blessings to you...Q.'

11/10/2006 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Compact Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next