My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://walkslowlylivewildly.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Satisfied

I've been thinking so much about what it means to be truly satisfied. I can look back through my life and pick out so many things I pursued that I thought would satisfy...but they all came up short. Relationships, money, possessions....none of these things satisfied me completely. Temporarily, yes. But not completely and without fault. The only thing that can offer that kind of satisfaction is Jesus Christ. Knowing Him. Loving Him. Glorifying Him. To quote John Piper, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him".
Psalm 90: 14

Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days. (I love this one...when I meet with Him early in the morning, I am filled and satisfied all day. I am much more able to resist the temptations of this world!).

Psalm 145: 15-17
15The eyes of all look to you,
and you give them their food at the proper time.

16 You open your hand
and satisfy the desires of every living thing.

17 The LORD is righteous in all his ways
and loving toward all he has made.

Isaiah 55:2
Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.

Isaiah 58:11
The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.

Over and over, He says that HE will satisfy our needs. But in a culture that screams so loudly about how we'll never be satisfied without more money, more stuff, more square footage...it's no wonder we are distracted to the point of forgetting His promise.

If we take Jesus at his Word, and start trusting that He will give us all that we need...why do we need to pursue all the things that the world pursues?

Piper has this to say about it:
If Christ is an all-satisfiying treasure and promises to provide all our needs, even through famine and nakedness, then to live as though we had all the same values as the world would betray him. I have in mind mainly how we use our money and how we feel about our possessions. I hear the haunting words of Jesus, "Do not be anxious, saying 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things" (Matthew 6:31-32). In other words, if we look like our lives are devoted to getting and maintaining things, we will look like the world, and that will not make Christ look great. He will look like a religious side-interest that may be useful for escaping hell in the end, but doesn't make much difference in what we live and love here. He will not look like an all-satisfying treasure. And that will not make others glad in God.
What would happen if every Christian lived a life that "looked different" than the world? Would it be possible to live lives like those in the early Church? To live in complete community and share all that we have?
All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had. With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all. There were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales, and put it at the apostles feet and it was distributed to anyone as he had need. *Acts 4:32-35
There were NO needy persons among them?! Amazing. The thing is, if everyone just shared what they had today, the same would be true. There is more than enough to go around...enough for the entire world. I know I'm thinking crazy thoughts...but it's good to think about such things.

No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had?! Wow. Think about how much crime and hatred is the result of jealousy of someone else's possessions. How caught up we get in determining what is mine and what is yours. Lawsuits, wars, divorces...

When we release our possessions and recognize that everything we have comes from Christ and belongs ultimately to Him, it's much easier to have a loose grip on it all. We are just stewards of everything God has given us...none of it is OURS anyway. They are His to do with what He wants. It's much easier to be satisfied when you take the distraction of possessions out of the picture. Jesus loved talking about money the poor. Fifteen percent of all His teaching revolves around those topics. I used to just skip over those passages apparently, because it wasn't until I went deliberately searching that I realized how much Jesus wants us to take care of the needy.

Lastly, I will leave you with one last passage from Piper's book "Don't Waste Your Life". It's such a great reminder that although we should be salt and light and be "attractive" to others in order to win hearts to Christ, we also must be wary of becoming to comfortable in the "world".

I am wired by nature to love the same toys that the world loves. I start to fit in. I start to love what others love. I start to call earth "home". Before you know it, I am calling luxuries "needs" and using my money the way unbelievers do. I begin to forget the war. I don't think much about people perishing. Missions and unreached peoples drop out of my mind. I stop dreaming about the triumphs of grace. I sink into a secular mindset that looks first to what many can do, not what God can do. It is a terrible sickness.
A very convicting reminder...we are in this world but not of it. Do you look different? I'm going to leave it at that, and let you ponder. If you've never read of heard John Piper, I urge you to check him out. It's deep stuff for sure, but well worth your time.

Be satisfied!





11 Comments:

Blogger rebecca said...

thank you sara....what a wonderful post.

12/04/2006 5:34 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I am also reading that book--love it. Jesus is all-satisfying, and this book presents that in a wonderful way.

12/04/2006 6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara, I have so much to tell you, I wish I had your email. God is using you in so many ways in my life right now.

12/04/2006 6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi sara, you don't know me, but i found your blog through some of your posts on the mothering boards, where i am a frequent lurker. i wanted to tell you what a blessing it has been to read some of the posts you've made to your blog lately--particularly the way that you relate the thoughts and struggles that you have to your faith in Jesus. i have been thinking and struggling with many of the same things, and it is a comfort and an encouragement to read what you have to say. and you say it much more eloquently than i could! thank you.

12/04/2006 8:55 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Awesome. Really awesome.

We are trying - ok, I am trying to be satisfied with my house right now and it's so hard! So much pressure! It's tiny (I submitted ons of picture on Mothering, remember me? Tiny house? Green and blue walls?). We have three children- so I have more than enough excuses to need more than 2 bedrooms and 900sq feet. And someday- it change may have to happen- but today? Tommorow? Next year? No- we're all ok- if we'd only let go of all this junk or at least earn to take care of what we have.

It seems like it's always the same lesson from God- "LET THIS GO." Thanks for another shove in the right direction.

12/04/2006 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara,
I recently found your blog through Catherine's blog from "Making It Home" magazine.

The two posts on "Wanting" and Satisfied" were both so inspiring that I told my Hubby about them. I hope you don't mind, but he wanted me to read them to him (unusual) so I printed them off the net. They made for some good discussion last night and he even pulled out his dusty Bible to look some things up. (Insert PRAISE here!) I will be placing them in my "Homekeeping Helper" under "budget" and "inspiration." Kudos.

I've been reading Deut. and Prov., and this morning I came across (or was it bitten by?) Prov. 27:7 that really fit in with what you posted.

"The full soul loatheth an honeycomb; but to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet."

So many hungry souls, even Christians, who just nibble at the One who can satisfy but try to fill up on everything else. It's like the difference between having a good portion of filling, healthy fare compared to pigging out on junk food, isn't it? Food, home decor, clothes, gossip, etc., so many other things to want but won't satisfy a hungry soul. Imagine being so full and satisfied with the Lord that we don't even want honeycomb! (not even the cereal...smile!)

Blessings to you on your life journey!

12/05/2006 5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stike that part about the dusty Bible. I usually read to him from mine so it is my fault that there is dust around here, not his! Didn't want to give the wrong impression. :o)

12/05/2006 5:05 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It's so funny and great what pregnancy has done to me. I just don't feel the need or what to buy much right now...even for the baby. I can't buy clothes b/c that would be rediculous unless they stretch. And we're moving so I know I'll want things there. And I just feel that I don't need anything. I guess I have so much more to think about now than myself. It's been good.

12/07/2006 7:03 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It's so funny and great what pregnancy has done to me. I just don't feel the need or what to buy much right now...even for the baby. I can't buy clothes b/c that would be rediculous unless they stretch. And we're moving so I know I'll want things there. And I just feel that I don't need anything. I guess I have so much more to think about now than myself. It's been good.

12/07/2006 7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have used some good pieces of Scripture.

12/23/2006 12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I found your blog through links on MDC. I've enjoyed reading your posts since October or November, as well as your MDC posts in the compact/decluttering forums.

I especially like your Biblical quote about cultivating inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. I just love that.

1/22/2007 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home